Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Switch

As a parent of two exceptional boys, my past posts were consumed with W's antics. My how times are changing! There has been a switch in our household as R moves into this Wonderland role....I wonder what he'll come up with next?

Kindergarten has been a mixed bag of nuts for R. Every night before a school day, he begs to not go. Clings to my arm and "Please, please, please-es" me. It cracks my heart a little each time to tell R that he must go now as he is 5yrs. (5 has been a magic number for R....just not in this area) Finally he has disclosed that art is the problem. "I don't like art".

Well, most little boys aren't ones to sit and color or read all day now are they? They want to move and grove and shoot pretend guns and giggle and use potty talk.

Not your boy? Ohhhh....!!! That's just mine. {{wink wink}}

Anyhow...besides being gross motor motivated as all boys are, R has a moderate to severe fine motor delay....and he's really come far in this area....but still printing & drawing pictures are hard for him. Right now, this is presenting more as a planning problem, than a fine motor problem. Does that make sense? He's got the tri-pod grip down pat now and and can color. Last year at this time there was NO coloring, only tracing and dot to dots, so I tell you he has Come. Far.

BUT. All this printing and drawing pictures and PLANNING is difficult for our R.  Hence the aversion to school. You know, that "Draw 4 interesting Bat Facts" sheet kinda sent him rolling in the "I hate this" direction....but I digress.

Tuesday I was chatting with Mrs. J....his fanTABulous SNA....happened to mention Benson (the dog) and she was shocked.
"So he's alive then?"
Uh, what? Yes our dog is alive.

Turns out last week she was trying to get R to draw a picture of Benson, and he told her that his dog is dead. Died. Gone. And she felt so badly about bringing up a sad topic by using his pet to "coerce" a drawing.

Gah!

She laughed and I was shocked that the little stinker lied to get out of drawing a picture. That turkey!
You know he hates art when.....

Lately, this kiddo, who was my easy boy, is throwing me all sorts of curve balls such as this. As noted, there's been a switch thrown between these boys.  I!-Yi-Yi!! What's a momma to do?!

Catching what R's pitching,
Mrs. M

1 comment:

  1. The perfect school for my potty-loving-moving-shaking-silly-is-the-bestest boy would be a...

    musical karate class!

    Kick the the first letter you hear in "sat"!

    Aye-YAH!

    ...d

    ReplyDelete