Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas Baking...the EASY way

Normally, baking from scratch is something I find soothing and take pride in. However, for whatever reason, I'm not all that interested in the long hand method at the moment so will be taking some short cuts. Here's what I have on the go this week.

Friendship Cookies
Box of chocolate cake mix 1
Cooking oil 1/2 cup
Water 1/4 cup
Large egg 1
Chocolate chips - white or mint 1 cup (or more!)
Combine first 4 ingredients. Add chocolate chips. Mix well. Drop using 1 tbsp aabt 2 in apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake in 350 oven for 10-12 min until set and tops of cookies appear cracked. DO NOT OVER BAKE. Makes abt 4 dozen cookies. ~ Told you it's all about easy this year!

Easy Nut Brittle in the Microwave by Julie. One year I attempted Brittle the long way and what a mess! Boiled over, couldn't quite get the temperature right, some yelling took place and a whole lot of cleaning. THIS has to be better!

Mincemeat Butter Cookies...again by Julie. My favorite husband's mother brought a jar of mincemeat that she and her purple gang made...tarts are not my favorite, so I thought I'ld try this.

Now, to decide the menu for Christmas Day. It won't be contrived of easy, short cut methods. Besides Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potato Surprise and "Wheat Salad" (it's made of wheat, creamcheese, vanilla pudding, pineapple, etc...not really a traditional salad, but super tasty) what will be served?

2 comments:

  1. I was also thinking the mincemeat cookies were a good idea. I like the idea of baking and entertaining, but then I just get tired...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can relate Mrs. Mittens!
    The nut brittle turned out great and is super easy.
    Fri is mincemeat cookie day...I'll let you know how that goes.
    You've more energy than me...gingerbread cookies! That's a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete