Thursday, December 7, 2006

Genetic Wonder

Scientific fact is one thing, but sometimes I just like to ignore genetics (when it's convenient for me of course!) and put my faith into the environment and learned behavior. Well, once again I have been proven there are two sides to every thing.
According to some sources our little fellow seemed to resemble me more than his dad. Personally, I see him as himself and don't see a strong influence of either of us. Then there's his gran who I "caught" holding baby W up against the wall beside a picture of his uncle, only to hear her exclaim, "That settles it he's (uncle) Bs!" Well, if that didn't knock my socks off as I KNOW that's not possible. Anyway, I digress....Recently we have had a great number of people comment that our little W looks just like his Dad, the spitting image, etc. Which is fine by me. As I happen to think W's dad is quite handsome!
The next genetic anomaly which has come glaringly to the surface is the need for clean hands. Apparently when my favorite husband was a boy, playing out doors was more of an exercise in running as every time he got his hands dirty he would race to the house to wash. Dirty hands were not acceptable. Well, now, we have a son who recently has adopted this same mindset. W's face can be as dirty as the floors in the bus depot, but his hands cannot. Nor can they be wet. Even suds in the tub must be rinsed and dried off. Rub a little banana all over his face and that's just fine, in fact add some to his hair and it's even better, but for goodness sakes do NOT get any on his hands!
So, other than a clean hand gene pool, how can this be explained? He's only 15 mths old. It's not learned...not environment. Genes it is.
Which means one more thing....he'll soon be lining every toy, etc up in a straight line. Another anomaly from the genetic pool.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's fun, and sometimes it's downright scary to see familiar traits in our offspring!
    I, for one, think your wee W looks amazingly like his Mama =)
    (no slight against his Daddy, just the way it looks to to me)

    ReplyDelete