Saturday, January 20, 2007

Frozen Assets

Finally after being waitlisted I was accepted into a Community Kitchen group. The purpose is to meet once a month to meal plan based on the current grocery sale flyers, then two days later meet again and complete the mass cook and of course take home your prepared meals to freeze. Mealtime takes less decision making, less convenience meals and it's economical. Brilliant concept!
So, having explained the brilliance of this idea...next picture the event I recently experienced. There are 5 members of the kitchen I was placed in . Two of us are new members and three belong to the DDRC. Apparently the DDRC felt this would be a good opportunity to "socialize". One gal brought her two case workers along, both of whom looked like they walked off the runways of Paris. Imagine "The Devil Wears Prada" in a low budget cooking show. Really, are stilleto, tall boots safe in a cooking atmosphere? ~ One spent the day seated beside the coffee urn, consuming copious amounts of the bean beverage. She must have had heart palpitations! Every so often she would call out a request for "Coke", "Chips" or "Treat". Anytime someone in the kitchen would speak she would adamantly exclaim, "No!"....except when she got up to dance in the middle of the room to the radio tunes.~ Then the last lady watched, called me dear ALOT, and eventually told me "No" when for the fourth time that day I asked her if she needed a job to do. One batch of Veggie Chili was enough for her. ~ What an event! After the meal plan meeting, I was expecting the absolute worst, but the day turned out quite well regardless. By the time 3pm came around I was ready for a nap and a big lunch....did someone say McDonalds?!
I still think the concept is brilliant....but I may request a different kitchen location/group....or just join the DDRC myself....as by the end of the day I felt like an honorary member.

Oh! This cookbook has also come my way, "Frozen Assests" by Deborah Taylor-Hough and tonight the Pork Rice Skillet Bake was tried and a sucessful attempt according to my little family.

2 comments:

  1. What an adventure!
    You're much braver than I am. I am too tired to be in a cooking group right now...my poor family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like it has the makings of a CBC comedy hour. You should get some good stories as well as some good food out of it. i've always thought community kitchens were a great idea. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete