Monday, February 25, 2008

Wholesome Baby Food

Feeding the babies healthy food has always been a priority to me. And sometimes this has been a topic of conflict with other family members, but as a parent I think it's my job to start them off on the right nutritional path and defy their genetics. Of course, there are moments when we get off course. You know, when the toddler has a small bowl of mini marshmallows and mint chocolate chips for a snack! What! How did THAT happen?! Apparently, the best intentions become sidetracked.
However, for Baby R I recently made this recipe and he LOVED it!

Peachy Sweet Potatoes
1 sweet potato - peeled, steamed & mashed
1 can peaches packed in own juice - drained & mashed
1 TBsp wheat germ
1TBsp flour
2TBsp non hydrogenated margarine
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Mix & mash all together. Freezes in ice cube trays. Heat n serve.

Now, I'm on the search for some chick pea recipes. Maybe pureed and mixed with sugar free applesauce and a spice or two?
What do you feed your babes?

After Thought...
The Chickpea Pie was a hit.
Ground 1 large can of chickpeas as fine as possible. Rinse and drain first. Add equal amount of unsweetened apple sauce, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg and mix.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on all accounts!
    Who bought those chicken nuggets??

    Luckily Baby E likes most things I've tried so far. I sometimes have to remind myself (and others) that she doesn't eat all people food yet. (no Nana, she can't have cake).
    I quite like the recipe I have for brown rice cereal. Toast the brown rice, grind it up, cook it until it's 'creamy'. Then it can be a cereal with applesauce and yogurt or savory with bits of chicken/peas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am making my own. I need to get a mill or something but Its going pretty good. Just recently I mixed blueberries, bananas and rice. The problem I am having is little J has a pretty strong gag reflex, but he does like everything I have given him so far. I will be adding the meat (chicken very soon)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mommas! I'll try both suggestions. R isn't too keen on meat yet or egg yolks, so it's on to Tofu. Maybe that will be a good protein option for now.
    Happy feeding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Alyson....Kidco makes a manual and electric food mill. I use the manual one and it works suprisingly well. The great thing about it is it's easily portable so if you're out he can share your dinner by using the food mill. I think I paid about $20 & purchased it at Kacz Kids.

    ReplyDelete