Thursday, April 3, 2008

BIG KISSES!!!

It seems I have earned the reputation of the "Big Spanks!" Momma. Desperately, I want this to end. It's heartwrenching to think that's how my child views me. The punisher. So, wracking my brain to find a method of positive reiforcement, I came up with Big Kisses.
"If you LISTEN to Mommy on the FIRST TIME, what happens?"
"Big spanks!"
"No!!! Big KISSES" And then I deomonstrated by making a fish-lip face, walking towards hime with my hands in the air ready to embrace his little cheeks, I then kiss his whole face loudly and he GIGGLES uncontrollably. It's a hit. So I try it out. Leaving the room to put the babe down for his nap, with W in his highchair finishing breakfast, watching Treehouse, I let him know what I'm doing and to please leave his food on the tray (he always throws it on the floor when I'm not in the room) and to be quiet (no rocking and banging the chair on the floor)until I get back.
It WORKED!!! So I kissed his whole sweet face, loudly and quickly many, many times while his giggle warmed my heart. And when I was finished what did he say?
"More big kisses!?!"

Foot note:
The Big Kisses rewards worked on several occasions over the past couple of days, however, he still tells me about Big Spanks too. Ugh!!

2 comments:

  1. That's so cute!! So much more fun for everyone.
    It's so often an afterthought with punishment than a reward for good behavior.

    Nice work Momma Big Spanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for being so creative. It justs sounds totally you ... I can visualize now.

    ReplyDelete