Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Houdini & the Bad Mother Award


He makes me cry and my stomach sink and my heart race. This "Houdini" of mine. See, it's not a new discovery, these Houdini talents of my W, we are prepared for them as our home is similiar to Fort Knox. Locks of all kinds are on every door and our yard only has one way out, through the front gate, which has another gate prior to it that is tied shut as well. So, W's Houdini-ism was taken to new heights as he scaled the 7 foot fence into the back alley and was found in the middle of the street, wearing his little bike helmet, trying to "drive" a ride-in toy police car that belongs to a neighbor.
Where is the parental supervision, you ask? Putting the babe down for his nap, which only takes a few minutes. Never did I think leaving the screen patio door open & letting him play in our "Fort Knox" yard would be dangerous. Well, I stand corrected.
Imagine my horror when I couldn't find him. Imagine my relief and lump in my stomach when I found W safe and sound. W told me, "I play car." "I climb fence". "I play outside."
Nope. Grounded for life. So is his mother, recipient of the Bad Mother Award today.

2 comments:

  1. You are always so hard on yourself. We can't be everywhere every minute, even with our best intentions.

    It's such a chilling feeling to not find them where we expect them to be though.
    A certain young boy I know disappeared from the park where we were all playing one day and after searching until that feeling of panic starts to build in your stomach I found him playing in the CAR. I wanted to shake him and hug him at the same time.
    I think we ALL have these moments. That's why I think these little kids must have angels watching over them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At his age, if he was clinging constantly to your side that would be worrisome. What a climber!! What great problem solving skills! What drive! What speed! All skills you'll be happy he has later!

    ReplyDelete