Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kinship Care

My sister is amazing. Mrs. A. We're quite close, she and I, even though there are 10 yrs between us. Recently, she and her wonderful husband proved yet again why they are role models for my favorite husband and I.
We have a neice who is having difficulties as a single mom to her three little boys. Some of these difficulties are self inflicted and has resulted in social services stepping in to keep them safe. Well, my sister and her husband have taken these little ones into their home indefinitely, which means they are now parenting 7 kids under the age of 14yrs. 4 boys under the age of 7 and three girls over the age of 11. Talk about busy!
What is also interesting is that my sister is... in a way... reliving our childhood as we are a family of 7 kids; which started as theirs, ours, mine and someone elses but resulted in 7 siblings. Even though I always new the origins of all of us, they were always my brothers and sisters, no one was considered different to me.
Kudos to my sis A & her family! Those little boys will thrive in the love of their home, despite the trauma of it all, they're lucky. And the original four kids, they're amazing too, to welcome 3 little boys into their home and have their lives turned upside down, become noisier and overflowing. An amazing family.

3 comments: