Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Christmas Shoe

I remember this shoe. Fondly.

It was always on display at Christmas time...grandly and proudly...as my Grandma Gertsma made it. All golden and arranged to display the poinsettas and little angel hidden within.
Makes me smile that this pasta encrusted, golden painted, plastic poinsetta'd shoe was kept and displayed year after year.

Tacky? Maybe.
Precious? Yes.
Treasured? Yes.

My southern grandma is long gone. Passed away at the young age of 98yrs when I was 16yrs of age. Yet, this funny Christmas shoe still exists. I found it last weekend tucked away in a super dusty cupboard at my mom's....long forgotten.
So, her golden heal has been dusted, the plastic flowers washed, the angel retucked, and ready for display when the Christmas season arrives.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's sweet how sometimes the best memories are wrapped up in beloved ornaments and cherished 'treasures'. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete