Monday, December 10, 2007

Worry & Gratitude

This afternoon I received the call that everyone dreads. The call from a hospital staff member advising you that your family member has been admitted. My heart sunk and my voice froze as the nurse advised me that my mom had been flown to the hospital today due to a motor vehicle accident this morning at 9am. It was already 12:45pm and I was the first family member to be notified. At that time, Mr. Nurse wasn't able to tell me anything as she was still in ER undergoing tests. It's been a long, helpless day waiting by the phone, contacting siblings, her work & responsibilities, debating whether to up heave my immediate family in order to travel out of town and then finally speaking to my mom, if only for a moment. We still don't know alot, only that all in all she is okay. So, with the worry etched on my heart, there's gratitude there as well. Gratitude that someone was watching over her and kept her relatively safe. Gratitude to the guys who stood and talked to her until the paramedics and fire department were able to free her from the vehicle. Gratitude to my brother and sister who are there with her now. Gratitude to my husband who dropped everything to be with me and would do anything to allow me to be with my mom. And gratitude that tomorrow is a new day.

1 comment:

  1. Ooohh Mrs. M...I hope your mom is ok. It's so scary to think how everything can change in an instant, with one phone call.
    I'm relieved to hear she is still with you and you have such a loving family.

    ReplyDelete