Friday, March 23, 2007

Goals

Do you set goals for yourself? Immediate, short term, or long term? Do you then brain storm an action plan as to how to achieve these goals? Are you a list maker?
Lists I will make from time to time, not daily though. During college & the professional years they were ever present and re-written throughout the day. As a stay at home parent, this too has changed.
However, when it comes to goals, I have never been goal oriented, more accurately goal-challenged. Frankly, the thought of setting goals brings about a slight feeling of anxiety, fear and possibly a case of hives. Could this be fear of committment? Fear of failure? Of course, there are the obvious pre-determined goals that are a given and not consciously noted as goals, your life's credo if you will.
There are people in my life who set goals and are achievers of these goals. Those that believe if you don't set goals or pick a road, then any old road will do and who knows where you'll end up?
I have always been a "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" kind of person, which explains alot. Maybe it's time to change this part of my personality? Wouldn't self-imposed goals give me a greater sense of direction, purpose and accomplishment? As they are my goals, they can be as little or large, trivial or serious as I choose, because they are a reflection of me, not expectations of others thereby elliminating fear and skin rashes.
Goal #1 - Set some goals.

4 comments:

  1. Hello M,
    Goals are good in some circumstances but they can also create failure! This is the category in which I fall...ie. weight loss....you set a goal...a certain amount of weight loss in a certain length of time, and to me it assures almost certain failure! So, although apporpriate in some situations, some of us are meant to fly by the seat of our pants and let life happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wuhoo! Glad I'm not the only "pants flyer"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a 'pants-flyer' I'm pretty slack in the goals dept as well. Where is the surprise/adventure in planning everything out?
    Although it does always seem like good advice. And I do wonder what could be done if I set my mind to it.

    Maybe we could call it dream setting? Take the pressure off. Little steps at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dream setting is a much better title. Makes a person want to day dream & plan.

    ReplyDelete