Sunday, March 11, 2007

Hair Affair

A woman's crowning glory....
Last Spring I spontaneously cut my hair super short into a pixie cut for the sake of ease. Doesn't every first time mom do something crazy with her hair? Well, since August I've been growing it out and my hair really does grow quickly, if you like a "mullet" that is. Throughout this process I have lost three hair stylists due to moving salons or out of province and managed to track one of the lost salon-souls down. This week I made time for myself (thank you sweet husband!) for a much needed cut/style. The mullet really isn't my idea of stylish hair and wearing a hair band really isn't the "new" ponytail. This trip to the salon must have been worthwhile as I've already had people questioning the change in my "doo"...permed? No! Natural curls all the way! But just wait until I get the courage to highlight it myself. Or do I dare? Gina Glocksen's hair color would be so fun! Not sure if I dare....or if my favorite husband believes that I would do so...even though there's a box of color/highlight kit in our bathroom as I write this. Anyway, ramble, ramble, ramble....here's to having the illusion of having a crowing glory again.

This next insert is a little personal and may be more info than you're looking for, so please move on if you prefer to know less about me.

Next, I went one step further and booked an appointment for a little visit to the salon for an esthetic treatment. Now let me just say that I so wish our society was on par with old Italy where hair is beautiful....all hair. For a non-blonde person such as I, our society is a pain...in too many places to mention. But I am lemming and do not buck the system entirely. So off I went to see (I shall call her Francesca) Francesca who with her thick mediterranean accent cautioned me ..."Oh, you are shy?! Don't be shy! Here hold your underwear like this!" and then later..."Yes, I know it hurts... it hurts, but it will be beautiful and afterwards you shall say Oh that Francesca she does such a great job! See?" Well, I can't SEE. I'm 7 months pregnant which is why I need help. And I've never thought of the nether regions as "beautiful". Let me just clarify here that I wasn't joining the Brazilian gals, I know women who have and swear by it, but I am one who is much too prudish and has no pain threshold. As it was throughout this experience I was practicing my breathing while thinking "Oh M....you're going to have a baby soon so this should be nothing. You can do this." (Later the receptionist shared that a 9 month pregnant client went into labor after a waxing session there. So, if in May you read that I'm on my way back you know what I'm attempting to accomplish!) At the same time I was warding Francesca away from being too over zealous, because if she had her way I would be in flight to Carnival in Rio De Janeiro at this moment. However, I'm just a Canadian girl with no intentions of adopting an honorary Brazilian citizenship.
What we women will do in the name of beauty. We are amazing aren't we?

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!
    YOu are brave! lmao!
    Braver than me =)

    I'm with you on the highlites though. Maybe we should just go for it. Normally I would, although at the moment I'm still a bit hesitant about facing the consequences of a hair project gone awry.

    ReplyDelete