Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hospital Orientation

Today, my favorite husband and I spent an hour at a Hospital Orientation. With the pending arrival of baby #2 approaching we decided it's a good idea to ensure nothing major has changed at the hospital due to all the construction taking place. Most procedures are still the same, but we did learn that our truck does not fit in underground parking. Good to know! Can you picture us arriving at the hospital in hard labour, stuck in the parkade entrance? Talk about panic. Also, the waiting room has been removed from the Women's Specialty Unit and is being developed into another labor/delivery room in an attempt to meet the needs of our growing city. And the best change from when we had W is that the Women's Specialty Unit and Women & Babies Unit are now visitor free. Only your two support people, siblings of the baby, and grandparents are allowed to visit while you are in post-partum (not labour/delivery....only support people here). Great change! The rooms are just too small, it's not always a positive experience for every mom and chances are you may only be there for 24 hrs so less is better.

It still causes me to shake my head in wonder that if you request the window bed in post-partum you are charged $20 per night. I'm surprised that there's not a charge to have the bed closest to the washroom. Oh, and let's not forget meal service. I'm sure the Region could profit in that department as well. Okay, okay....I shouldn't be so cynical. I truly am grateful to be giving birth in Canada and not other countries where one can barely afford to have a child. I'll let it go...

All in all, I'm glad that B & I went this morning. It's one of the most informative hour's we have spent in regards to labour/delivery. The facilitator is very knowledgeable, offers all sorts of tips in regards to labouring, manuvering about the hospital, processes, procedure and provides piece of mind about the whole experience for both expectant mom & support person.

2 comments:

  1. I had to go in last night to get a Rhogam shot in the butt. Fun!
    At one point I actually felt a bit emotional about being there again. Not that it was terrible, but it was a pretty big experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the emotional part...during the presentation there were a few parts where I felt a little "hormonal" or something...and then I just wanted to go home and be by myself. Oh well...here we go again.

    ReplyDelete