Thursday, December 18, 2008

He's Sees You When You're Sleeping, He Knows When You're Awake


The countdown is truly on. Christmas in one week. Are you ready?

Now, really, the question should be "Am I ready?"

Not completely. Today I realized I'm starting to feel overwhelmed too. 98% of the shopping is done as well as the grocery shopping, 3 Cookie Exchanges baked & shared but there is cleaning and organizing and the tree to put up and wrapping and ... and....where's the gin? Ho, ho, ho and a bottle of gin! (I'm giving Coconut Rum a rest...for now...)

Of course, Bup is too young for all the Christmas hype yet we did manage to have the traditional Santa's helper photo taken at the mall, complete with R in tears. It's a sad yet really cute picture. Then there's W, he was excited and agreeable until we stood in front of the bearded magic man. Poor old mall Santa got the worst stink eye ever and then W sat himself on his bottom on the floor and continued to glare daggers at the old gent. Yes, and Santa was taking us as the last child prior to his lunch...he works a 12 hr day...and was famished. So, W received the box of cookies, glared his last stink eye, and walked away holding my hand while telling me "I won't sit on Santa's knee."

There are so many amazing charities and people in need. What do you do for others during the holiday season? Food bank donations? Adopt a Family? Children's gift for Toy Mountain? Baking for others? Childcare? (pick me! pick me! ) We have done a number of different things over the seasons, but this year I've yet to get my act together. Any ideas?

One sweet point is that W thinks this is Christmas, that everyday this month is Christmas. Snow and Christmas lights 'n' decorations and a few treats and THIS is Christmas. He often asks "Mommy, what do you want for Christmas?" And then proceeds to tell me what I can choose...usually a toy, music for dad, toy for Bup, but today I could have a book too! Wuhoo!
So, again....are you ready?

I'm not.



2 comments:

  1. I love having kids around...to keep me grounded on the joys of life. Otherwise I think I'd melt into a a very dark ugly puddle on the floor! *smile* Bristel & Toby are SO excited...everyday!

    Hmmmmm...this year we're just up to our noses in bus-y-ness that honestly we haven't done anything for anybody else. True confession here...

    But I LOVE the idea of sitting! I think that's what I'll be offering next year...over perhaps even once we're settled. Lovely idea!

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we still have to make it through a birthday before we even get to Christmas. Whew. I think I'm getting there, but still so much to do!

    My kids keep telling me, But it's Christmas! So we must continue to eat treats and to decorate...I can't argue =)

    We helped out with 5 families through a church project. It was a huge undertaking and I only did a small part, but it was amazing to have so many people come together.

    ReplyDelete