Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Moments Like These

There are moments, days, when a mother feels like she is inept at parenting. When she hears words coming from her mouth, or screaming in her head, that her parents used in their parenting day...ones that she swore she would never use....like...."I'll spank all of you then I know I've got the right one!" (We were a family of seven children.) "Stop your crying or I'll give you something to cry about." " It doesn't hurt. Stop your crying." "Children are to be seen and not heard." Etc. Etc.

There are nights when a mother goes to bed with a heavy heart knowing she did not do her best that day. Worried that she is wrecking her children, scarring their little souls, but she gets up again in the morning and starts all over again.

And then there are these moments.
When that same mother is tucking in her child at naptime, snuggling beside him in his race car bed, and he lays forehead to forehead and quietly says something. "Pardon?"

"You're the nicest mommy in the whole world."

These are the moments.

6 comments:

  1. Been there --- done that --- and my two little monsters survived the wrath of DAWN --- and I loved them more everyday. Just because they made me mad was never a reason for knocking myself down. I guess I just tried harder the next day to be an even better MOM than I was the day before. YOU are the best and don't ever forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how we cling to these moments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone my friend...every Mom has those days, but only the lucky ones have those special moments....my favorite one to date is "I love you more than anything in the world plus infinity..." ahhhh, brings a tear to the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those moments always make me catch my breath...

    and "cha-ching" goes my heart's love tank!

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone has those days! It's realizing your not perfect that counts the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are the moments that make it ALL worth while. Although sometimes they feel as if they are few and far between, they are spaced out just enough to keep us going until the next booster is needed.

    ReplyDelete