Monday, March 3, 2008

Alberta Elections

As I write this, Premier Stelmach is giving his thank you speech here in Calgary. A PC majority is declared.
Did you exercise your right to vote? This time I did vote, admittedly there have been elections that I did not participate in for whatever reason. Sometimes it frustrates me that in Canada we vote for a party in order to choose the candidate. That being said, the party is always voted for but it's certainly different than say, in the US. What made me vote? It's our right. When I think about current events where countries are war torn and wanting democracy, yet some of these countries have gained the right to vote yet corruption and violence still prevails. Then there's the suffragists of past. For them in itself, is a strong reason that I should vote. Will my vote make a difference? It's hard to say. Did I really know the candidates and their platforms well....not really. I reseached their websites, but found them lacking. Explaining more what they have done, rather then what they will do. Quite weak to me. There was no knocking on my door, no rallies in my area that I was aware of so I felt somewhat uneducated in regards to my local representatives. But at the very least I did get out there and not remain completely apathetic and I must say that the polling station I attended was busy today, and most people were under 45yrs...interesting....
So, what's the point of this "political" ramble? I actually did vote...for better or for worse, and not necessarily with strong political convictions, but vote I did.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you being an example. I did not vote. It's terrible. I am ashamed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted too and took the girls along. The only person who sent me any info was the NDP guy and I thought he had some good ideas so I voted for him in a sympathy vote hoping he gets enough to get his deposit back.

    ReplyDelete