Monday, March 3, 2008

International Women's Day

In recognition of International Women's Day, here are some of the women who have graced my life and are definately notable.
My little Aunt Sis....baby sister to my Grandmother G. These ladies are both amazing in their own right. There is so much for me to learn from them and emulate in my own life. Both were 98 yrs when they left this world and still active amazing women. Aunt Sis was living on her own on 10 acres in this huge house in the southern states. Still having her hair done once a week (truly...I would love to do this! but not sleep with my head wrapped in toilet paper!), belonged to a literary club (at 95yrs she introduced me to the Poisonwood Bible), attended church regularily and loved to go for a spin in her neices convertible with the top down!
My grandmother was the epitome of a southern belle...in a rebel kind of way. She never swore, never raised her voice and things were to be done in a certain way (ie girls should wear their hair up), but she was loving and gentle and taught me to love reading. I have fond childhood memories of lying with her on the bed, holding her hand as she read to me. And of watching her get ready for bed at night; unlacing her corset (uh...she's in her 90's!), taking a swig of some magic milk (Milk of Magnesia, unbrading her hair and letting her bun down and lathering Rose Milk on. That scent will always take me back to her. She took care of herself. Even in her 90's. At 96yrs she had a mild heart attack during the aquasize class she regularily attended, and was so MAD that the Dr's wouldn't do anything for her because of her age! She volunteered in her community. knit up a storm and wrote letters to her loved ones faithfully. She moved to Canada a single woman in the early 1900's with her brother, later married and had her first child at 42yrs. Imagine how scandelous all of this would have been back then? She had courage.
Then there's my sister D....who was married at 16yrs. Yes. You read the number right. 1-6! And after many, many years, left this terriblly abusive marriage to set out on her own and give her youngest two children a better life. She is an amazing mom. She is a survivor. She is warm & loving and not at all bitter, yet she has every reason/right to be. She is fearless and such a success story.
I am proud to come from a line of strong women. Strong in their own ways. They leave a legacy of which I have much to learn and live.
Are there amazing women in your life? Share their story. Shout it out! Spread the love.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed this post altogether...? You have been changing things up!

    I admire many women in my family as well. My mom and her sisters, grandma's, my grandpa's sisters...lots of strong feisty women to appreciate and who've set a good example.
    Hooray for Women!

    ReplyDelete