Sunday, March 2, 2008

Quilts



Don't you just love a good quilt? One that's been washed many, many times so that it's a soft, muted, cozy cotton...a good friend kind of quilt, to cuddle up with during a movie or good book....or to make a fort or tent from...a soft on your cheek kind of quilt?
Quilts have always been a part of my life. My Grandma G quilted and so did my mom. I'm pretty sure she taught my mom to do so. I remember the wooden quilt frame being set up in our dining room or basement with a project on the go. There were mainly patch work quilts of every color with contrasting wool, log cabin quilts, butterfly quilts, embroidered quilts, etc. etc. My mom even belongs to a little quilting club that creates these blankets of comfort for charities. Right now they are working on quilts for little ones who have found themselves staying at Stollery Children's Hospital or Ronald McDonald House. I think of how comforting a cozy quilt can be for me, imagine what it can do for a little one who is away from home and ill?
Last week while my mom was visiting us, I gave her more than she bargained for. An arm load of material, quilt batting, notions and pattern for two quilts for two little boys. These puppy shaped, rag quilts will be made from their receiving blankets and hopefully will be a much loved keepsake for W & R. Thanks Grandma G!

2 comments:

  1. that quilt looks mmmmaaahvelous! I attempted a quilt once and chickened out. I still have all the pieces, and hope to get back to it one of these days.
    -steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's such a nice idea!
    maybe I should get Grandma R on such a project =)

    ReplyDelete