Saturday, May 31, 2008

Birthday Remembrance

Today would have been my brother's 42 birthday.
My brother was confident, a practical joker, a tease, tall and slim with dark, curly hair, a hard worker and played just as hard, he was a talented carpenter, good with horses, a charmer and could be equally difficult on the opposite end of the spectrum, he was protective of me although I never really knew it at the time, he was well-liked, athletic, strong-willed, and my older brother. I remember his birthdays when we were kids...one year we got our puppy, Chief, on Jim's birthday...there were several years that the party entailed a weiner roast, cake, jello, ice cream and me following his friends around hoping to be included and not ignored as all little sisters that are 7yrs younger are.
For the past several years, I would go horseback riding, often alone, sometimes with a friend, a sort of remembrance for Jim and his life. This year though I wasn't able to do that. So, here I am writing a little bit about Jim in hopes that he's not forgotten...not by me or anyone that knew him. And maybe I can make the time this week to spend some a moment or two outdoors in an activity that Jim would have enjoyed too...like baseball, or horseback riding, or camping or just barbequing with friends.

I do wish Jim could have met my husband and boys. They would have loved him, had so much fun with him. One day they'll know him through my memories, when they're older.

So, happy birthday brother, wherever you are.

3 comments:

  1. He is grinning down at you admiring the antics of W and seeing a bit of himself there...you continue to be a great sister...sorry that in the hour we talked today that we didn't share a laugh for Jim...our 13th birthday comes to mind....could be why I still don't like the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...that's a good memory too, one which I hadn't thought of in a while. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had the chance to meet your brother, but I've known since we met how important he is to you.

    Depending on how you look at things, maybe he had the chance to meet your boys before they were born.
    I like to think my grandma was there at the 'send-off' for my boys!

    ReplyDelete