Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hello? Is this the baker with the best buns in town?

Loaves, baby, best loaves in town!
Today my favorite husband called asking about the best buns in town, in the midst of my first bread making from scratch session. I finally swindled Mom's recipe out of her head. She had kindly loaned my her recipe binders and there was not a bread recipe to be found! Now, my mom was the queen of scratch cooking/baking...even crackers, mayo, etc. She has a recipe for cheese whiz! But the bread recipe was not there and she made bread every other week, at least. Anyway, after a phone call or two the recipe is mine and today was the first attempt. It's delicious, flax and whole wheat, but half the batch didn't rise very well, so there are some cute little loaves. Oh well, the house smells yummy and the little loaves are tasty. This may even become a regular occurence....we shall see.

(I'll post the recipe later...right now I need to get a certain 2.5 yr old off to "nap")

Bread from my Mom's Head
2 cups hot water + 1TB vinegar or 2 cups miok
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
8-10 cups flour

1 cup hot water
2 tsp sugar
2 envelopes yeast

Mix the water and yeast together, sprinkle top with sugar. Let sit 10 min. Brisk with fork.

Stir first 4 ingredients. Add yeast mixture. Beat 4-5 cups flour. Mix with hands until smooth. Add another 4-5 cups flour until smooth. Brush top with butter, cover with tea towel.
Let rise in bowl 1 hr until doubles in size. Shape into loaves and place in greased pans. Cover and let rise another 1 hr.
Bake at 400 30-35 min. Brush with butter as soon as out of oven.
Note: For whole wheat use 1/2 and 1/2 WW four & White flour. Can add a couple of tablespons of ground flax seed as well.

2 comments:

  1. oooooohhh...that must smell divine!
    I have never made bread. I'm going to try the 'no-knead' rise overnight type, but so far have only made pizza crust with it.
    I'm afraid if I start making bread that I may never stop EATING BREAD!

    Your Mom's awesome =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...that's the problem with homemade fresh from the oven bread...the eating!! I had to get it bagged & away as soon as possible or it would disappear!

    ReplyDelete