Monday, May 5, 2008

Contradictory Recipes

Hachacha!
Thai Style Iced Coffe & Fruit and Nut Chili. These were my new recipes of the week. As I sit down to enjoy my "nacho toast" [salsa & cheese on bread, microwaved with a side of sour cream & a diet coke (I'm in NEED of caffeine these days...mind altering drug that it is, I know)...such an epicurian lunch, isn't it?], the Chili is brewing in the crockpot and I'm almost drooling over the Thai Style Iced Coffee.
What site I found the coffe on eludes me at the moment, so here's the recipe. One could definately use decaf coffee & skip the cayenne pepper. It's kicky! Unfortunately, for me caffeine has become the suburban mom's drug of choice these days...as my heart speeds up and palpitates....the habit will be kicked as soon as the babes are back to good sleeps again. Anyway, give the coffee a go. It's lovely on a hot May day.
Thai Style Iced Coffee
4 cups water or brewed coffee
5 tsp instant coffee (if not using brewed)
1/3 - 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (I'll add the recipe for that too!)or 1 can Carnation milk + sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne

Pour 4 cups water into a pot on high heat.
Add instant coffee, bring to a gentle boil. IF USING COFFEE, pour into pot, boil.
Add spices. Stir well.
Lower heat to a minimum, add sweetened condensed milk.
Pour coffee into a pitcher, refrigerate.
Stir well before serving. Add ice if you wish.

Sweetened Condensed Milk
There are a few different recipes, I tried this one and it turned out well.
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup nonfat dry milk
2/3 cup sugar
3 TB melted butter
Few drops of vanilla
Blend at high speed for 30 secs or until smooth. Use immediately or store ina covered container in fridge. Equivalent to a 14oz can.

Now onto the chili. I hope it's as tasty as it looks, which is rich & flavorful.
This recipe I have adapted for the crockpot by not adding the two cups of water.

You may NOT want to try the official Nacho Toast idea. It's not all that fancy or official. Just easy & gooey.

2 comments:

  1. There are a lot of times when I think coffee drinks look oh so yummy!

    Fruit and nut Chili sounds fun. How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chili was good. B doesn't like the cinnamon though. I quite enjoyed it. A little differnt but not as much as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete