Sunday, August 10, 2008

Birthday Sunday




Oh, the sweetness of a child's excitement and glee!
In the wee hours of the morning, this momma was decorating a construction cake and the house and assembling gift bags as my family slept in snug in their beds. At 4am I snuggled in beside my favorite husband only to be awoken three hours later with a loud,
"Mom!" and then a little boy running up the stairs to our room still yelling,
"It's Christmas! Christmas Mom!"
A banner or two, presents on the fireplace mantel, and two happy birthday signs equate Christmas. How fun!
Then when he saw the cake in the fridge it was all we could do to drag him away from the fridge to open his presents. It was pure joy for W as he viewed his construction cake. (Try the recipe, it's awesome!)
Following the gift opening ( Cars movie, wooden train set and a wooden tool puzzle) we were off to Heritage Park where all enjoyed riding the train around the park twice, riding the ferris wheel, the whip and the boat swing. Afterwards we all deserved an ice cream at the old Vulcan Ice Cream shop, yet poor R was so sad because he was over tired and only wanted to eat the cone but the ice cream kept falling off to the floor. Too young for a cone. Another 6 months or so.
Upon arrival at the park, W ran as fast as his little legs could carry him towards the first train station, but the train blew it's horn and drove away to which W stopped in his tracks and BURST into tears. The saddest birthday boy. Carrying him towards town, we were eventually able to convince W that there would be a chance to ride the train. Poor little sad guy...thank goodness for more steam trains and the amusement park and the free breakfast and the cool weather and the happy boys and coming home for a family nap.
Celebrate good times!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like the perfect birthday day!
    Can't wait to see the photos.
    We're excited to come and enjoy some more birthday celebrations. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowsers that cake sounds yummy! My mom made both of my boys' first birthday cakes, my dad made both boys' second birthday cakes and I have totally slacked off and gotten store bought cakes for the remaining birthdays. I find lots of time for party planning, I think I need to put more time in cake making. Homemade always tastes better and means more. My girlfriend made her son an army tank cake for his 5th, it looked awesome and she said it was super easy.

    Feel free to email any dayhome queries to me: lesleybeck@shaw.ca

    Hopefully I can answer some questions for you :o)

    It's ironic that you found my blog today I was just at the town hall and was thinking about you. Don't worry about the floors - it totally added some funny stories to the wedding!

    ReplyDelete