Monday, September 28, 2009

Cashew Cheese


The latest creation of our Free Eating kitchen. Sliceable Cashew Cheese. Mmmmmm! And it melts! So will be great for pizza and casseroles, etc. W likes it. B is not so sure as it's a texture issue for him. I love it. It's rich and zesty as I put a lot of pimentos in, but that's just my taste preferences.


Sliceable Cashew Cheese
2 cups water
3 TBS agar flakes - I used Knox Gelatin
1 cup raw cashews - cheapest at Superstore

2 TB pimentos or 1/2 red bell pepper
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB food yeast flakes - used Nutritional Yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

1. Boil together the agar/gelatin & water for 1-2 min. Place in blender with all the remaining ingredients & blend for 1-2 min until very smooth.

2. Pour into containers & chill. Slice when firm.

Hints....can be frozen. The pimento colors the cheese..want white? No pimento. It melts! Great for pizzas, toasted melts, etc.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering about the cashew cheese, thanks for testing it for me! lol. Though I don't think the recipes I've seen call for agar, I just might have to try it. Ashton & I are lactose intolerant and he reacts strongly to orange processed cheese. I'll let you know how we like it if I make it.

    I just posted about a raw apple granola and I was thinking about you guys. I think you might like it and it's super simple.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete