Thursday, September 24, 2009

New Favorite Cookbooks


This whole new "Free Eating" regime has caused a little conflict of the soul in regards to my cookbooks. I have a tonne of them! Many were gifts or have sentimental value. Now what to do with those that don't fit our new style of eating? Yes, I should keep them and just substitute ingredients into the favorite recipes. Yes, yes. That takes some effort though...and there are days when my effort has fizzled.

Alas, I have discovered two wonderful new cookbooks! Wuhoo! Just what my favorite husband wants me to have...another cookbook to add to the collection. He's been known to tell people that I don't need anymore...can you imagine? Anyway....

7 Secrets Cookbook by Neva & Jim Brackett. This is a popular SDA vegetarian cookbook with some super recipes such as Cashew Cheese. Not all the recipes are gluten free, so I'll be substituting flours however there are some great raw recipes and all are vegetarian. Plus there are great tips on what can be pre-made and frozen for convenience. The SDA bookstore in Lacombe AB will ship this. That's how it made it's way to our kitchen.

Raw Kids Recipes. My friend recommended this book. It's an on-line purchase and downloads well. One of the best cookie recipes comes from here, Lemon Cookies. Lemon, coconut...they look like a peanut butter cookie and are divine!

One day soon, I'll post actual recipes. Until then, I'll be reading these new books and making grocery lists and meal plans.

2 comments:

  1. I also have lots of cook... well, my collection is mostly made up of magazines. I've been wanting to buy vegetarian and raw cookbooks, but there are so many out there, it's a little daunting. Which one to pick? And I don't want a cookbook that will make me buy a gazillion new ingredients per recipe. Let us know how you like them once you try them out, please.

    I'm also really into trying raw recipes. When your trying to feed your kids as naturally as possible, you cant get closer to unprosessed as that! Mmmm... lemon coconut!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is all a lot of work for you, but it's also kind of an exciting adventure into uncharted culinary waters! I love that you're sharing with us as you go =)

    ReplyDelete