Saturday, September 5, 2009

Shut Up Stupid

"tupids!" says Bup
"Mom, Bup said a badword!"yells W.

"We don't say Shut Up." explains W.

Why is it that EVERY child's show or movie has either Shut Up or Stupid in it? Even Elmo. Yup, that red, furry little cutie that my boys have been obsessed with at some point in their lives. R still is although Cookie Monster is running a close second, along with the Count and Ernie. Anyway, W picked up "Shut Up" in Elmo in Grouchland, and sure enough, it's there! Isn't Elmo supposed to be the ever-lovin' toddler?
And don't even let me get started on Disney movies, such as 101 Dalmatians..."you idiots, fools!"....or Stewart Little....or The Polar Express..."stupid underwear"...an all time favorite in our house....but I digress.
Aaaarrrggghhhh!
It's so unnecessary for these two statements to be in toddler and preschool TV/movies. Can the writers not coming up with something as equally strong and more appropriate?
Until then, I'll be enjoying hearing my two yr old say, "Tupids" when he's angry at his mom or brother....and the 4yr old advise me of every bad saying such as "Shut Up" that we should not be saying. Thanks for pointing it all out...over and over again W...Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I feel guilty - 101 Dalmatians is my movie and I bought it as it came as a great kids movie! Yikes now Gram has to be censored. And I do not know which cartoons are the right ones to watch either. One Grandma told me to watch the faces of the characters. If they had nice faces - OK. If they had scary or no faces - then definately NO. The kids world is moving way to fst for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my personal favorite it 'loser'. not sure where that came from.
    maybe we should make up some of our own 'naughty' words...or they can call each other smurfs or something...???

    ReplyDelete