Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Parenting Tools

As parents, we all have a treasure chest of tools, if you will.
Whether we realize it or not. The intangible, soft skills like patience and humor. The tangible tools such as playdough, markers, etc.
Here at the H household, this treasure chest is becoming more like the Tickle Trunk. It has a fidget bag (for outings) that includes a water-ring game, squishy bugs, spiders, lizards, a slinky, silly puddy...quiet feely items; a weighted vest of the homemade variety and is an absolute godsend (THANK YOU Mrs. TN...our incredibly thoughtful family friend gave me this vest which is a left over from the days when she worked with Autistic children. She rocks!), and therabands (pilates, exercise bands), a weighted puppy that cuddles around his neck (which I found at the Zoo gift shop of all places), and a weighted Eyore (which I weighted by opening the paws & placing pattern weights inside.)
The band is tied onto the legs of W's dining chair so that he has something to kick against during dinner. Planned fidgeting.











The vest is worn anytime W is ramped up or needs the ability to sit, such as during meal times. Oh, how I have HATED meal times as it is so very, very hard for W to keep his little bum on the seat of his chair. Meals have been a struggle. And it doesn't help that by then, my patience is burned out, my fuse is short...the dictator has set in...and the Witching Hour is in full mode. This vest has brought peace to our meals. Now if there was only something to ramp my patience level back up!
These tools have shown W and us incredible, positive change. He sits at meals. Yes, there is still a little fidgeting, but nothing in comparison as before. The other beauty is that they are portable. Plus, most importantly, W is happy to use them and never, ever refuses them.

The weighted stuffies we use in the car & during sitting activities (if needed) like waiting for an appointment, coloring (Oh! Coloring is another post! W loves it and is quite the little artist. Yes, I'm biased!) or something else that may require some sitting.

Fantastic finds! Bless those who helped me find & implement them!

What's in your parenting treasure chest? Did you even know that you have one? Oh, you do, believe me you do! Iused to think mine just included coconut rum, now look how it's expanded!*wink & lol*

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the weighted vest for Trevy! I was such a skeptic at first. But seriously...during speech this morning he was SO distracted...until I broke out the best. Almost immediately his body calmed and although he was still a bit distractable it was MUCH better!

    I would say though...one of my all time fave parenting tool finds was a great book called

    Discover Your Child's DQ Factor by Dr. Greg Cynaumon

    He basically studied 200 families and how they disciplined their children.

    Broke down the various personality styles...and which method worked best for which personality.

    It was a HUGE breakthrough for our first-born. Who is a Bear...aka type A. I was going at it all wrong...and making everything a world war. Determined to win battles! Instead of working with his personality...to mold & coach him. GREAT find! I actually give it to new parents at their baby shower now!

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how the band looks so much like duck tape in this photo. LOL Funny laugh for me. I have thought of said duck tape often. Doesn't every parent? (Anonymous for a reason today)
    I am going to have to think about my tickle trunk. Not sure if I have one or not. Patience is one of the virtues that so doesn't stick around long, and how I wish I knew how to "drink" it from somewhere. There must be something out there for it. Brandy is definitely in my trunk. Grand Marnier and tea are others. But oh I suppose you mean items for the boys, must think that one out some more. My tickle trunk might be full of above noted items just for me. Maybe I call it the liqour cabinet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my greatest tool is divide and 'be quiet'. Not really conquer, but they are so much more civilised when they are not together. Which is almost never...
    I love some of your ideas. I want to check out the Bear book too. I need less battles.
    Tape is a huge entertainer at our place. Just don't expect any to be left on the roll. Duct or otherwise!

    p.s. my DQ factor is an oreo blizzard

    ReplyDelete