Monday, January 26, 2009

Frosting - Healthier Alternative

Okay, all this healthy stuff HAS to be realistic. Birthdays and celebrations need to be enjoyed in full force with tasty treats, cakes and the like!

Here's an alternative to high fat, jawlocking sweet icing. This frosting recipe does have the traditional use of icing sugar but it's still a healthier choice, not perfect, but healthier. It's definitely not the toothache frosting we're all used to. And come to think of it...I bet one could be created with tofu. A past colleague's husband created a to-die-for tofu chocolate cake, so why not icing?

Also, for baking I've substituted Agave Nectar ( found locally at Community Natural Foods) for granulated sugar and applesauce or other fruit for fat/shortening. The texture may be different depending upon the recipe, but the taste is not compromised.

Check out Julie for healthier baking ideas. She's One Smart Cookie! I love her blog and books. They're well worth investing in...and she's local. How cool is that!

Frosting - as per Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet for Family & Kids
2 cups yogurt cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 - 1 cup confectioners' sugar

Mix all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Frost cupcakes or cake and refrigerate until ready to enjoy.

Okay, all this chatter about food and baking....well, I better scoot to the kitchen and feed Bup, make a big batch of Fruit & Spice Sunny Boy for my charming husband's week worth of breakfasts, and figure out a protein alternative for my dinner. B & the boys are having steak, it's thawed, marinated and freaking me out in the fridge!

1 comment:

  1. I like finding 'alternative' recipes. Apparently you can change the world with a little yogurt cheese - ha! (I found a website once that had a million ways to use it)

    You're such a good wife to make your hubby steak when it repulses you so. HA. I get the man around here to cook the big meats. =}

    ReplyDelete