Sunday, January 25, 2009

Spitting Carrots!


Healthier eating is a must in our household, as I'm sure it is in any home. I just want to be healthier (of course, more svelte would be a bonus too!) and to set a good example for our boys so that it's not a struggle for them in their teen or adult years.

This has brought a couple of new cookbooks into my collection which seem to be the mainstay of recipes as of late. The Eat Clean Diet for Family & Kids ( I also appreciate that the author Tosca Reno is Canadian and a mom) and the Kid Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook, which is basically a Gluten Free and Casein Free cookbook. There's some great recipes....like Yogurt Cheese, which can be adapted to replace cream cheese (I LOVE) and mayo (another LOVE...did I ever tell you that I have a FAT TOOTH not a sweet tooth?!) as well as Rice Milk, which is a staple in our home, and then there's the Smashed Potatoes, from the Eat Clean book.

Everyone...well almost, Bup didn't eat a thing.....ate them last night. Even seconds! This is huge! Bup isn't huge on veggies so the whole Deceptively Delicious concept is important. That child can spit carrot out of a carrot muffin! He's like an Alzheimer's senior who can spit bran out of cereal. And my favorite husband tells people that "M makes me eat vegetables!" So....if you're looking for new-to-you, healthier, tasty recipes, give it a try. It's worth the effort...for me anyway.


Tosca Reno's Smashed Potatoes

1lb potatoes, peeled & cooked

1 parsnip, peel & cook with potatoes

1 cup cauliflower florets, steam until tender

3/4 cup veggie broth

3 TBS plain yogurt

sea salt

Cook the veggies, mash with veggie broth (I used chicken), yogurt, and salt to taste (I skipped the salt as broth is usually sodium laden). Serve hot.

6 comments:

  1. I am SO stealing that Fat Tooth line! Cute...

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 of Tosca's books, Eat Clean Diet and Eat Clean Diet for Family & Kids. I LOVE THEM, especially the family and kids one. I've often thought about buying DD, I've borrowed my cousins a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Just checking on my friends in blogland. I love the great ideas you have posted. I need to get a hold of these books. P.S. Yay for Bup for his speech therapy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to try the veggie mash. I'm always up for getting more veg. Oddly, my kids won't eat mashed potatoes. Who doesn't like creamy, delicious mashed potatoes...??
    They love peas and green beans though, so I guess I'll let it slide =}
    Spitting carrots out of muffins, now that is a talent! Aaaahhh funny.

    Gonna check out the cookbooks. tnx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of 'treats' do you give your kids?
    I'm thinking the pink frosting sugar treats are not a good idea...well for anyone really.
    What are your alternatives?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mrs Mittens,
    In the EAt Clean book she uses yogurt cheese to make icing! I'll email or post the recipe. Combine that with some of Julie's healthier alternatives...and yum!
    Although lately with the colds here...it's been Del Monte All Fruit Popsicles!:)

    ReplyDelete