Thursday, May 13, 2010

Finally!!


Okay, you all, it's no secret that since we went to a Free Eating regime, my baking S*^CKS! I've found it really difficult to use different flours, no sugar and have baking turn out moist, tasty and not dry as chalk.
Try and whistle after consuming some powdery rice bread....I dare ya!
Last night I put together two recipes found in Eating for Autism and finally, F-I-N-A-L-LY, I have succeeded in making two kinds of muffins that my family enjoys.
Hot damn & Hallelujah! (Can you hear the angels singing??)
Two you ask? Well, yes! I was practising for Bup's upcoming third birthday...3!!....and also a special birthday cake for W as he is attending a birthday party on Saturday and he will have his own special little cake so that he can join in the eating portion of the festivities.
Now to master an icing or frosting. Until then, here's the successful recipes:
Carrot Cake
1 cup GF flour mix (or brown rice flour)
1/2 cup canola oil (I used coconut oil)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp GF baking powder
1/2 tsp Guar gum
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup zucchini
1/2 cup agave nectar (or honey)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon.
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9in pan.
In a med bowl combine flour and oil. Stir briefly. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Batter will thicken with mixing. Spread in the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 min until a toothpick test comes out as clean.

Double Chocolate Muffins
3/4 cup GF flour mixture
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1/2 cup agave (or honey)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp GF baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp guar gum
`1/2 tsp salt
1 cup GFCF semisweet chocolate chips or carob chips
Preheat oven to 350. Place muffin liners in muffin tins.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour and oil. Mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, except chips and mix well. Batter will thicken as it is beaten. Fold in the chips.
Divide batter among 12 liners. Bake for approximately 17-21 min until a toothpick inserted tests clean.

By the way...as I write this only one carrot muffin still exists. Hello W!
This morning when I asked Bup if he would like a muffin, he vibrated with excitement and exclaimed with great fervor, while dancing in one spot, "A muffin!! Just yike Moween's howse! Muffin!"

1 comment:

  1. Yay to yummy GF sugar-free baked goods! I'll have to try those recipes asap. I've been craving a good 'ol muffin lately. I especially love that the recipes don't call for a bunch of different flours and powders :)

    ReplyDelete