Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Good Read

I LOVE to read. Always have. Some the fondest memories of my Grandma G are of her lying beside me in bed on top of the covers in my little bedroom that I shared with my sister....I suppose I was to be having a nap as I was quite little...and her reading to me. She is the only person I remember reading to me as a child. I'm sure there were others, or maybe not, after all I am the youngest of 7! Anyway, the love of reading started young and she is one of the reasons.
Today I read a soul-touching book. "The Knitting Circle" by Ann Hood. Even for those of you who do not knit, this is a great read. Especially if you are a mother. It's one of those books that even though I just finished, I'm ready to pick up and read all over again. My husband teases me that I skim and skip and don't really read because I read so quickly, and with this book it's one that you go back and read certain passages over. And the best part is, this book is based on the author's experience, so it's not just a lovely work of fiction.

Another new read that I enjoyed recently was, "I Am Hutterite." Growing up in rural Alberta, Hutterites were part of my community to some degree, so this auto-biography was a nice eye-opener for me. In some ways, community living would be lovely...no one is ever hungry, you know your place and purpose, a support system, etc, etc. however, like everything, in theory everything is perfect but not necessarily so in reality. This lady's story is one to be read. There is a lesson in it for all of us.
And what about you? What book is on your night table these days?

2 comments:

  1. Okay...so I've been such a lazy bum with the reading thing. I did read Memiors of a Geisha recently. And another book...altho for the life of me I can't even remember what it was about! Ugh! I've been attempting to read at least a Psalm a day. I need some positive juice in the brain lately! And there are blogs (like your's) that I follow regularly. I even picked up a non-fic book Creative Correction...in hopes that it'll provide me with some much needed parenting jems! But otherwise...I've been lazy! That's it...I'm going to the library right this minute. Or at least today...or tomorrow anyway! *wink*

    xoxoxo...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing!!
    I feel so bad. I started reading For Whom The Bell Tolls for our bookclub, which then sadly has met it's demise, and I didn't finish it. Yet...I can always catch up, right??
    The Glass Castle was a fantastic read though.
    And everyone I know is reading the Twilight books. Worth a look maybe?

    ReplyDelete