Sunday, October 12, 2008

Southern food...the color of orange...Thanksgiving Recipes

Don't you just love pumpkin recipes? I do!
There's a few that are super yummilicious.....like pumpkin hermit cookies and a Morrocan Stew (with pumpkin, sweet potato and prunes).

Then there's the sweet potatos or yams. They are in my blood, my heritage from my Kentucky grandmother; the southern belle of all belles; kind, gentle, knitter, philanthropist in her own right, community oriented, educated, spiritual, soft spoken, but do not cross her and oh she could hold a grudge. This tradition of the sweet potato is engrained within me, yet I do not eat sweet potatoes unless combined with something else or made into fries. However, amongst my family I am known for "M's Sweet potatos" and am always requested to bring them to family dinners. [My cousin mistakenly thought this dish was my sister's as she served it (made by me) one year....oh they stood corrected!:)] Hmmm...does it scare my family members that I make the dish but do not consume it?!
So, here's "M's Sweet potato recipe". Look at me sharing my most requested recipe! Be forewarned, it's kind of a heart attack waiting to happen.

M's Sweet Potato Surprise

Sweet potatos, peeled, boiled & mashed (as many as you like)

1 block cream cheese

1 egg. beaten with fork

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

1 cup crushed pecans

In a large bowl mix sweet potatoes, egg, vanilla, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Once mixed well, add cream cheese. Mix again. Place into sprayed casserole dish (9x13). Sprinkle the top with crushed pecans, remaining brown sugar and remaining melted butter. Bake in over at 350 for about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

  1. hmmmmm...I've never been a sweet potato fan. But that does look yummy! You may convert me! *smile* Hope you've had a chance to enjoy your weekend!

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm...all the yummy orange food! I think I like the fries best too, but the hermits are sooo good.
    I made pumpkin shakes with the kids today. With ice cream. For a special treat. DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin shakes? Great idea! I'll maybe try that for breakfast tomorrow...with vanilla yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you making sweet Potato Pie for Christmas? Can I come to your house?

    ReplyDelete