Saturday, October 18, 2008

Knit Wit

I'm not witty, just knitty.
These days I've really enjoyed knitting again. Maybe it's a good stress release? After all it is the new yoga! Maybe it's a new health eating regime? Cause really now, I can't eat yummy, buttery popcorn with a set of needles in my hands and a ball of yarn in my lap now, can I.
In the past couple of weeks I have knit two scarves, both pink, one of which I am wearing and one is a gift for a friend, a few facecloths for the boys, I like to keep a plethora of facecloths in the kitchen for little hands and faces and aren't knit cotton ones just softer?, and I am about to finish a color blocked cardigan for baby R. (Cardigan....instantly brings my husband to mind...imitating Bert from Sesame Street..."Nice cardigan!") *pictures to follow*
Now, do not let the sparks from the needles and the skeins of yarn fool you, I'm still very much a beginner knitter who has to phone her friend KJ and her mother for knitting tutorials over the phone. How do I create stripes? What do they mean "turn"? And what's this I cord business?
But it's all coming together. Let's just hope that R's little sweater is able to be introduced to the public and not just shoved in the knitting project cemetery at home.
There has been a knitting tragedy or two. The first was my excited arrival at a large retail craft store with my %50 off coupon for Saturday only, with the anticipation to purchase the Mason Dixon Knitting book, but low and behold they have changed the rules! No discounts on books!! What? Typical big box, large retail activity isn't it? Close down the little guy (like our Beehive) trap the customers and then whammo! make it even more difficult/expensive! Okay...there's my retail/business tirade for the day. Anyway, I'll be content for now to enjoy the MD website, $40+ for a knitting book that I really only want a couple of patterns from is hard to justify...even for me.....website or library it is!
Tragedy #2...and this is a real tragedy. R was maimed with my bamboo knitting needles. Ugh! Just makes my stomach sink thinking of it. W was happily "knitting" at the island with said needles and a leftover ball of pink, cotton yarn. R walks by innocently and W pokes him in the EYE with a needle. Completely unprovoked. THANKFULLY R's actual eye was missed, but he was hit right at the bottom on the eye lid and it drew blood. It was NOT GOOD. My poor babe. He's okay, but it was a good lesson for me. Three yr olds and knitting needles do not mix. (I realize this is obvious, thanks, but no further guilt and heartbreak is needed. Do that just fine on my own.)So, to all my fellow knitters out there...keep on keeping on but keep your needles to yourself. Add the dangerous weapon disclaimer to your knitting bag and lock them up when others are about. See, nitwit...oops knitwit....I can be.
Happy knitting.

2 comments:

  1. 3 year olds are a dangerous combination with so many things!
    I excited to see what you've been working on. Knitting is still beyond me...maybe some day.
    Funny how these things just click sometimes, even when we may have tried them before unsuccessfully (like my knitting).
    YOu are inspiring me with your knit and your wit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol....thanks my mitten friend!

    ReplyDelete