Monday, February 23, 2009

ADHD



What does this mean to you?
Isn't this the cutest face ever? Isn't he beautiful? My heart just melts when I see his smiling little face and sparkling eyes. Our little wonder-boy affected by ADHD. He has been diagnosed with severe ADHD with some atypical behaviors and sensory issues. Whoa! That's a mouthful.

We've been dealing with this for a while and have had time to adjust and get our heads and hearts around this. It's hard and there have been many tears.

My favorite husband and I even debated keeping this to ourselves because there is so much misinformation out there, labelling and stigmas. However, how will the negative ever go away if no one talks about it? It won't. So here we are for all the world, our readers, to know. A chance to educate society and the people in our lives.

As well, people will label him regardless of whether they know what is provoking his behaviors, etc. So, we feel honesty is best. Hopefully people won't be so quick to judge.

ADHD is a neurological disorder that has symptoms such as hyperactivity, inability to focus, the ability to hyper focus, impulsiveness, etc. These affect our W. It is also why he is our wonderful little boy, our Wonder Boy, both wonderful and keeps us wondering what he will come up with next.

W is brilliant and bright. He is creative and funny. He is sensitive and fearless. All of this is a part of the ADHD label.

So, here we all go on this new journey. A journey to help our W be the best he can be, to be successful in all areas of his life and a journey to help others be more accepting and open.

Here we go...

8 comments:

  1. I hate the labeling. And yet find myself looking at some of the cute Trevy things and thinking "ohhh xyz's SO cute now...buuuut someday..." Ugh... I want to cherish all the things that make Trevy Trevy. That make him so beautiful. So right. And yet...

    I suppose deeply I'm a believer that each of our children are unique & special & quirky. And perfect for us. For the mommy-ing (and daddy-ing...and even sib-ing) that make us all right for each other.

    If this is making even the slightest big of sense! *smile*

    May we raise perfectly quirky perfectly loved kiddos. And to the wind with the labels!

    xoxo

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always want to wrap them up in our arms and protect them!
    I think letting people know what it's all about is one of the best things you can do, for W and others.
    I applaud the position you've taken to educate others on even some of the information you've had to take in yourself.
    We could all use more understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo for your stand on this!

    In my opinion no one really likes the labelling BUT sometimes it's hard to access some programs that are wonderful and essential to our children that don't fit the typical cookie cutter shape.

    From my own personal experiences I know JT definitely broke the mold for a 'typical' child. BUT JT wouldn't be JT without those special characteristics...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only labels for W that matter are the ones you sew in his underwear! He is a funny, bright, active boy that will just keep you on your toes and continually guessing....If you have to conform to societies labels, no one will be more educated, fierce and protective then you my friend....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, hello! It truly has been too long....I am slowly catching up on you and your wonderful life. It is fantastic to see you, B and W here and be able to take in small glimpses of what has gone on in your life over the last few years.

    I will enjoy moving on to last year's updates.
    Take care M - hugs to you and your boys from me and my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and now with more reading I see you have 2 boys!! Yay, we have 3 - life is grand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Queen of the Barbershop!
    Welcome!
    So fun to find you here! Three boys for you guys....busy, busy household. Sometimes it's more than a full time job keeping up with these boys!:)
    Thanks so much for getting in touch. I'll enjoy looking for your comments.
    Keep care,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello dear friend.
    I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you. Thank you for reaching out to me. You reached me at a time when I felt so alone right after our baby was first diagnosed.
    You are an amazing person and your little ones are lucky to have you for their Mom.
    It saddens me to hear of these sweet little ones that have to experience such trials.

    ReplyDelete