Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cadillac Bomb


Picture this if you will....

It's 9:50am, the boys and I are on our way to the Alberta Children's Hospital for Bup's Speech Therapy appointment. Traffic is horrendous. It's snowing. There is very limited visibility. It takes us 45 minutes to travel what normally is a 5 minute drive. No exaggeration required here. Due to the fire dpt closing down a lane on the bridge deck because of poor driving conditions.

Both boys were content...enough...while we inched our way along Deerfoot Trail towards the Douglas Dale bridge. Soon, W announces he has to pee!

"You'll have to wait a minute, buddy. I can't stop here." I'm not even moving but I just couldn't bring myself to hop out of the car for W to urinate on the side of a stand still, snow blowing, 4 lane freeway.

"Mom, I got to pee. I already waited a minute!"

He's now holding himself and wiggling in his chair with a pained look on his face.

What's a traffic bound mom to do?

Out of the corner of my eye I spot on the passenger side floor an empty McDonald's apple juice container. Aha! I tell W he'll have to pee in the cup and hold it up for him to see. "Unbuckle your seat belt, stand on the floor and pull down your pants."

He does this and then REFUSES to use the empty apple juice container while half crying and bouncing up and down stating he wants to pee outside.

UGH! Come on, come on, c-o-m-e o-n!

"Please, please W, use the cup. Mommy will help you."

WhichI did ...while driving in super slow, stop & go traffic. The ingenious plan was successful. The whole time I'm thinking, "I can't believe we're doing this! THIS is what it's like to parent boys. What would I have done with a girl in this situation? I can't believe we're doing this!"


Alas, the Cadillac Bomb.


And no, we did not drive all the way to the hospital with an apple juice glass of urine in the travel mug holder. It "magically" disappeared without a spill in the car. Whew!

This experience is a first! And a lesson to ALWAYS visit the restroom before leaving home.


Did you know that "Trucker Bombs" are a waste problem in the province of BC and elsewhere? They litter the ditches. Saw this on the evening news once. Grossed me out. Now, I'm almost a contributor! So, if you're travelling in anywhere and see a suspicious 2L bottle of something....back away!

8 comments:

  1. hahahahahahaha! I HEART boys!

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the "anonymous" tag as this is the only way I seem to be able to comment on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bailey's awaits you on thursday, Warner always seems to cheer me up after mine bring me down. Wanna trade. Precious, just precious, I needed this today and you need a break. Thursday it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mayo or big jam jar with a screw top lid rode for years in our car. Fill it on the road and throw it away when you get home and replace for the next time out. Saves bombing the hiway too. Travelling with two boys in the backseat, drinking big gulps can make for a wild ride! That and comic books were the best back seat ride-alongs and kept a mothers sanity when travelling with boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still can't believe this is what happens in our life...but it does!:)
    Welcome Mrs. Moe! So happy to see your comments! I know you're a reader, but it's even more lovely to see that you stop by. And I'm already looking forward to Bailey's on Thursday!:)
    Gram oDoe....my favorite husband laughed when reading your comment bc he remembers it all very clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found myself in the same situation before - W was stuck in a Starbucks drive thru and couldn't get out to take JT to pee. So filled the McD's apple juice cup - to the BRIM! I was trying to get him to stop so it wouldn't overflow but couldn't stop from laughing. Thank goodness there was no spillage in my van or your car :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lesley that's aweseome! lmao
    Glad I'm not the only one! Thank goodness for the MCD applejuice glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember stopping by the side of the road on many a car trip...but not in traffic.
    Excellent work Mrs. M!
    I saw Jon and Kate taking a little potty with them on trips, but you still need a place to sit it to use it.
    aaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete