Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mother Hubbard's Cupboard

There are some late afternoons when the last thing I want to do is prepare dinner. There. It's there for the world to see. There goes my performance review! But hey....
...it's the Witching Hour after all. The three of us aren't at our best. Hungry, tired, wound up, some of us want quiet time, coconut rum & a cigar, others want Elmo, and the list goes on.
At 4pm it was one of those moments, and then a sprightly little angel knocked on our door! No, it wasn't Delivery vs. Delissio...it was a niece, stopping by to play with the boys & help me. Her Christmas gift to me is a once a week after school visit. Now, THAT is the gift that keeps on giving!
Dinner still needed to be prepared. The cupboard needs to be bare. Leftovers be gone!
Cooked lasagna noodles.
80% of a rare blade steak. Do y'all know how much I detest steak?! Gack!
Doesn't look promising.
But the trusty blender is my friend. Pureed the steak with canned tomatoes, tomato paste, Epicure pizza spice, mixed plain yogurt with Parmesan cheese, layered it all, bake it and voila Leftover Lasagna.
It was a hit!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is the perfect gift! I want a niece who lives a few blocks away for my birthday this year =)

    My go-to meal lately is eggs on toast with whatever veg is hanging around.
    Although last night the kids got peanut butter wraps. Which they'd eat all day long if I let them. But I snuck some spinach and avacado into a smoothie. We called it a leprechaun shake. They all happily ate everything. For a change.
    (and I had a dinner date elsewhere!)

    ReplyDelete