Saturday, March 7, 2009

Table Cover

Our oak dining table is one with a history. My parents bought it second hand, when they were newly married, 43 yrs ago. It's been through a lot!

When B & I were first married I refinished it. It's a little wobbly at times, but I like it.


To protect it from the boys I sewed this cover after a friend gave me the idea about a fitted tablecloth.


It's not super stylish, but it offers some salvage of the top and was only $2.97. I tend to think vinyl table clothes are a bit tacky. I grew up with them. Purchased at Kresge's or Woolco off the big role. I can still smell that vinyl aroma. So, after disliking them all my life here I am with a vinyl tablecloth on our table!

5 comments:

  1. it is times like this when we just shake our heads and think...my goodness...I have just become my mother! lol
    sometimes we have to do those less than attractive things...to save the beautiful ones.
    I had a piece of plexi glass cut to fit our round table when the kids were smaller....it didn't cost that much either. So..if you are desperate to avoid the dreaded vinyl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought one today! I think it's a fab idea, as inspired by your crafty tablecloth.
    I have to say our island has been great for us though. It has proven to be quite kid proof. So far everything has been cleaned off.
    Now me, knocking on wood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. and now I'm thinking how I wish I could wrap the whole house in bubble wrap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those plastic table clothes. No washing or ironing. Completely throw away when the season is over. Yes - the season - at the dollar store you can get Christmas, spring flowers, fall, Halloween etc and in every matching color of the rainbow.
    Yes you gals might have become your mothers - but we still have great taste in VINYL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gram Oh Doe!
    B and I are laughing out loud at your comment!
    And guess what....mother's day is coming and I happen to know where there is a local dollarstore and will be saving my MTH pennies to purchase lots of VINYL for you!:)
    Hugs,
    M

    ReplyDelete