Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Snack Attack

Always on the search for healthy yet tasty snacks for my family. Besides just fruit & veggies. It's not easy. Especially since I am trying to eliminate preservatives and extra sugar from the pantry.
Preservatives....that's a topic in itself! They're horrible and confusing. Sneaky manufacturers.
Anyway, while the boys were entertained by my lovely niece and dinner was broiling, I threw these recipes together, which are from the Better Baby Food book, and they were a hit as both B & W were consuming them as soon as they were out of the oven. Easy & yummy...what's better than that?
Snacking Chips
2 pitas, opened & separated
1/4 cup olive oil
Spices to shake - I used Victorian Epicure's Pizza & Herb & Garlic Dip
Brush pita with olive oil, sprinkle with spices, cut into 8 wedges using scissors. Bake in 425 oven for 5-8 minutes. I kept them in for about 6.5 min. Store in airtight container.

Cereal Snacks
6 cups chex like cereal (I used Shreddies...not Chex like but worked)
1 cup mini crackers
1/4 cup olive oil - warm in microwave for 60 sec
1 pckg Ranch Dressing dip/spice
2-3 Tbsp dill
Mix spices and cereal, crackers in large bowl. Drizzle with oil. Mix well. Store in airtight container

Okay I mixed and shook all this is a large freezer bag....which the bottom broke out of & it flew all over the kitchen!

What are the favorite snacks in your pantry?

3 comments:

  1. Those both look like great recipes - I've only recently discovered Epicure spices and I think I've liked everything I've tried so far. I bought pumpkin pie spice on a whim and haven't used it yet. I still have some pumpkin in the freezer so maybe I'll make some pumpkin loaf this week, it's definitely blah weather and I could use a pick me up.
    My dayhome kids all time fave snack is life cereal, mixed with corn bran squares (which are a healthy alternative to Captain Crunch) and cheerios. That's it, no extra icing sugar or spices. The corn bran is sweet and the life cereal is a bit sugary tasting on its own in my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting new snack ideas!
    My most recent 'snack' was a deviation on rice krispie squares. I know marshmellows are not a 'healthy' snack, but we added cheerios, corn flakes, and pumpkin seeds to round them out a bit.
    thanks for your ideas =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those chips sound fantastic! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete